Monday, February 13, 2012

Dark Roads to Tasty Burgers



We had a jam-packed weekend. Brant and I planned a light overnight cycling trip to San Simeon on Saturday with our dear friends Craig and Jane. Jane, a track star and avid backpacker, has been a little wary of cyclo-touring, until we offered her the use of our tandem.   So the plan was for Craig and Jane to bike on ahead to San Simeon, set up camp, and once I got off of work, Brant and I would meet them for dinner in Cambria. I worked from 8:30-to 4pm on Saturday, came home to find a tuned up pair of bicycles and an almost packed pair of panniers. By 5pm we were on the road, and it was dark by Morro Bay.  The combination of dark and a headwind made for an interesting ride and a long awaited burger...

I had never ridden so far in the dark. And it made me appreciate my epic light system. Two months ago I bought a ten year old Schmidt dynamo hub; and this Christmas Brant bought me a beautiful light for it, the Schmidt Edulux. I won't bring the hub with me on our trip in June but I will bring the light. And on a dark highway, a powerful light made the difference in the world.
Around 7:30 we met Craig and Jane for some fantastic beers and burgers before biking to our camp. 
We got a good night sleep (minus the fact that I forgot my sleeping pad, good thing Brant likes to share). We awoke, made impeccable coffee, moseyed our way to breakfast, and back down the Pacific Coast Highway. 
And by 3:30 pm I was back at work...


3 comments: