Thursday, May 31, 2012

On the Road...soon


You know you're actually leaving when your departure date is printed and pressed on page fourteen of the newspaper. Ana Korgan of The New Times, our local arts, news, and entertainment weekly paper, wrote a little article about our upcoming trip:
http://www.newtimesslo.com/strokes-and-plugs/7845/kinda-like-kerouac-but-by-bicycle/

Although Brant ain't no Dean Moriority and I ain't no Neal Cassady (thank god), we do appreciate our literary fathers and all those who have put into pen the attractiveness of an open road.

Here are a couple of our favorite quotes:
“They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of every thing at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue center light pop and everybody goes ‘Awww!’ ” 
 --Jack Kerouac, On the Road, Part 1, Ch. 1
    “When I was very young and the urge to be some place else was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. Four hoarse blasts of a ship’s whistle still raise the hair on my neck and set my feet tapping. The sound of a jet, an engine warming up, even the clopping of shod hooves on pavement brings on the ancient shudder, the dry mouth and vacant eye, the hot palms and the churn of stomach high up under the rib cage. In other words, I don’t improve; in further words, once a bum always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable.”   
     --John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley, Ch. 1, Page 1 

      No comments:

      Post a Comment